Central Park is a 21 hectare park (the second largest urban park in Wirral) located in Wallasey, Wirral and is in the Wirral MBC ward of Seacombe.
The layout of much of Central Park is similar to the original layout of Sir John Tobin, who purchased the land in 1828 and created gardens and paths shortly afterwards. This predates, Birkenhead Park (opened in 1847), and Sefton Park and Stanley Park in Liverpool which were opened in 1870’s.
Further work was done to the layout of the Park area by Harold Littledale who had bought the estate from his father-in-law (John Tobin) in 1841.
Littledale’s work included creating a Walled Garden, Lodge and Driveway from Liscard Road and other pathways which survive today.
After Littledale’s death in 1889 the Wallasey Local Board purchased the estate for the public in 1890. The Board undertook further work to the layout before Central Park was opened on Whit Monday 18 May 1891.
The Main Entrance is situated on Liscard Road opposite the junction with Central Park Avenue and is suitable for vehicles, pedestrians and wheelchair users.
The secondary vehicular/pedestrian accesses are on Liscard Road opposite the junction with Church Street and Liscard Road opposite Martin’s Lane
The other 8 access points are pedestrianised routes through the Park and they include Greenheyes Road (2No), Oxton Road, Poulton Road, Deveraux Drive, Pendennis Road, Silverbeech Road and finally Parkside / Withington Road.
The main bus routes are on Liscard Road, Poulton Road and Oxton Road.
Cycle routes into the Park are clearly marked from surrounding streets.
Wallasey Central Park Partnership (WCPP) is an umbrella organisation for all the various user groups within the Park (for example the Friends of Everyone’s Cafe & Walled Garden, Parkfield Liscard Cricket Club, Everyone’s Café, Love Lane Allotment Society and many others), in order to help preserve and develop the Park as a public open space; to organise events within the Park and to provide a meeting ground for all persons interested in the Park.